Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Pardoner: Getting to know all about him

We've heard a description of the Pardoner from the General Prologue in the previous entry. What follows now is the picture the Pardoner paints of himself in the prologue to his Tale.
     Regarding his preaching, he says,
          My theme is alwey oon [one], and ever was
          . . . and that is avarice.
And to stir listeners to devotion, I show forth my . . . relics.
     As he displays the shoulder bone of an animal, he exhorts:
          Pay attention to what I say:
          If this bone is immersed in your well water
          All your animals will be cured.
          Your beasts and your stores shall multiply.
Beyond those wonders, the water also overcomes jealousy!
          If soup is made with this water, 
          Never more shall a husband mistrust his wife.
     In another area of his talents, he assures,
          If anyone has committed a horrible sin,
          Or a wife has cuckolded her husband,
          I'll absolve them as I've done
          Year after year for 60 pounds.
     He has only one objective.
          All my preaching is to make them generous
          To give their money, namely unto me.
          For my intent is naught but to win,
          And nothing for correction of sin.
     But beware. Do not provoke his outrage.
          If anyone offends me or my friends,
          None will escape being falsely defamed.
          . . .
         Thus I spit out my venom under pretense
          Of holiness, to seem holy and truthful.
     His reputation is built on his old stories because he knows
          Simple people love old tales
          Which they can retell and remember. 
     Asceticism has no appeal for him. He'll not live like "the apostles."
           I will have money, wool, cheese, and wheat,
          No matter if it were given by the poorest servant,
          Or the poorest widow in a village,
          Even if her children die of hunger.
     Though at times he will present an edifying story, it is always with the idea of profiting.
         For though myself be a full vicious man,
          A moral tale yet I can tell you
          Which I am wont to preach for gain. 
He directly recommends to all,
          It is an honor to everyone that is here
          That ye have a pardoner
          To absolve you, as you ride,
          In case someone falls 
          Down from his horse,
          And breaks his neck.
The worthy Pardoner will absolve you
          When the soul shall from the body pass.
      After all his expressions of depravity, it comes as a surprise when the Pardoner--in a moment of candor--admits he still believes Christ is the Savior.
          And Jesus Christ, that is our souls physician,
          So grant you his pardon to receive,
          For that is best; I will not deceive you.
     As an evil man, we detest him. But, as Pisces, the Sign of the Fish, a personification of the Church, his actions are covert accusations against the life of the Church!
     decadence
     avarice
     corruption
     hypocrisy
     lack of concern for souls
     and Mariolatry
Chaucer has created a many-faceted portrait that recognizes and anticipates the protests that led to the Reformation.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment