Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Pilgrim dolls?

A friend recently asked me if I plan to make Canterbury Pilgrim dolls. The answer is a firm NO. Why so firm? It goes back to that astonishing epiphany, that moment of insight. As I've said, that moment changed my life! I can never see the characters Chaucer presents as one-dimensional travelers. They are all in disguise--as pilgrims.
     He presents an allegory--a story with a double meaning. His characters all have to have multiple personalities to be able to function on two (three?) levels at the same time. There is no way--that I've thought of--to portray these dual images as one entity. So, no, there will be no pilgrim dolls.
     In between working on The Merchant/Sagittarius, our next post, I have been making another doll. It's a fun thing to do, a different way of channeling your creative juices. This one is Bluebell.  He's tiny because that's all of the blue fabric I had.  I sent him off this morning to a special person.
I'll be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, what a lovely way to channel energy and flow. Sweet little Bluebell. I thought front could be one identity, back could be another, and if you felt like it there could be 4 sides, each one a separate person. Keep going they are very lovely.

    ReplyDelete